If you have not tried empanadas, you have not lived! This homemade, high protein version of the staple Argentinian snack will fill you with culture and satisfaction… with macros to spare!
Macros (per serving)
(recipe yields 4 servings)
Empanada Dough Ingredients
- 28g light butter
- 200g all purpose flour
- 56g unflavored whey (I used Quest)
- 120g egg whites
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- dash of stevia/splenda
Empanada Meat Filling Ingredients
- 2g minced garlic
- 224g lean ground beef
- 50g finely chopped onions (optional)
- 28g low fat cheddar cheese (optional)
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- dash of chili powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook garlic, onions, beef, and seasonings over medium-high heat on stovetop until cooked through.
- In a large mixing bowl, melt butter in microwave. Make sure butter is just warm (not piping hot) before adding all other dough ingredients. Combine all dough ingredients and kneed with hands into a large dough ball. You may need to add slightly more flour (if too sticky) or a little water (if too dry) until a bread dough consistency is reached.
- Divide dough into four equal-sized dough balls and flatten into 4 round circles on a floured surface.
- Divide pan contents into 4 equal parts and place on top of flattened dough circles. You may add cheese or any other vegetables, if desired.
- Fold dough over beef mixture for each of the 4 circles and seal the empanadas by using a fork to press down all open sides of dough, enclosing the beef filling.
- Bake empanadas for 10-15 minutes and enjoy!