After trying poke for the first time while traveling in Hawaii this summer, I was determined to come up with a simple, macro-friendly method that anyone could make and enjoy at home! For those who have never heard of poke, it is a traditional Hawaiian dish of Ahi Tuna sashimi marinated and prepared in various ways. It has become extremely popular within the last year, so now you can make your own and have a poke bowl party!
Macros (per serving)
(recipe yields 2 servings)
- ½ lb (224g) sushi grade Ahi Tuna Steak*
- 5g sesame oil
- 10g shoyu soy sauce
- 1 thinly sliced green onion
- 2g sesame seeds
- Cut Ahi into small squares and place in a bowl.
- Add sesame oil, shoyu, green onion slices, sesame seeds, and gently mix ingredients together. Cover and refrigerate for 10-20 minutes.
- To make this recipe into a “poke bowl” simply add your favorite poke bowl ingredients – rice, avocado, edamame, whatever you’d like. Enjoy!
It is EXTREMELY important that you specifically buy sushi grade ahi tuna. You CANNOT go to a local grocery store and buy tuna out of the fish display due to cross-contamination. I bought mine from whole foods and asked specifically for sushi grade Ahi, which they keep separate from the display.