Surprise your family this holiday season with gingerbread cookies packed with protein! These cookies are so rich, flavorful and chewy, they will never know it’s a “healthy” recipe!
Macros (per cookie)
(recipe yields 24 cookies)
- 55g light butter
- 70g unsweetened applesauce
- 120g vanilla whey
- 50g molasses
- 180g all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground or pureed ginger
- 35g egg whites
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- stevia/splenda to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in microwave and let cool until room temperature. Stir in unsweetened applesauce.
- Mix in all other ingredients until dough is formed; it will be sticky.
- Continue to add flour until dough is no longer sticky (amount will depend on protein powder used; weigh flour added as you go and account for in recipe)
- Place a large piece of plastic wrap on countertop and dust flour over it. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough until about ¼ inch thick.
- Using a 3” gingerbread man cookie cutter, cut out gingerbread men shapes. Continue to roll out dough and cut shapes until all dough is used.
- Place gingerbread men on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Dust off extra flour with a damp paper towel.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Enjoy!
Optional Icing design directions: Mix whipped greek cream cheese and stevia to taste in a small bowl. Transfer to piping bag with a small round tip. Once cookies have cooled completely pipe icing onto cookies with your own fun designs!