I swear, you would never know this is a high protein recipe! This cake has the same buttery and rich red velvet taste you will find at a gourmet bakery except with way better macros!
Macros (per cake)
(recipe yields 6 mini cakes)
- 1 tbsp white distilled vinegar
- 40g light butter
- 60g unsweetened applesauce
- 40g nonfat greek yogurt
- 50g chocolate whey
- 50g all purpose flour
- 15g cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- stevia/splenda to taste
- red food coloring (to desired dark red color)
- 132g Whipped Greek Cream Cheese (or nonfat cream cheese)
- Stevia/splenda to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large mixing bowl. Stir in applesauce, vinegar, and greek yogurt until mixture is thoroughly mixed and smooth.
- Add chocolate whey, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and stevia/splenda to taste until mixed well.
- Depending on the food coloring, you may need more or less. I used about 1.5 tbsp of food coloring (will seem like a LOT) to get a nice, dark red color.
- Add a little water, if necessary, until cake batter consistency is reached.
- Spray mini cake pan with non-stick spray/pam and fill with batter. If you don’t have a mini-cake pan, you could use a cupcake pan instead to make cupcakes.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until you can place a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean.
- In a separate bowl, mix whipped greek cream cheese and splenda/stevia to taste.
- Use a butter knife to ice each cake with this icing (about 22g per cake)! Enjoy!