These cinnamon sugar Snickerdoodle scones make a delicious protein breakfast treat for the holidays. With the perfect crunch on the outside and a soft center, your family and friends will never even notice that they are packed with protein!
Macros (per scone)
(recipe yields 6 scones)
- 114g light butter
- 1 egg
- 100g light sour cream
- 80g all-purpose flour
- 175g vanilla whey
- ½ tsp baking powder
- stevia/splenda to taste
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, microwave butter until melted, but not hot (just warm, so it doesn’t cook the egg when added).
- Stir in sour cream and egg until smooth.
- Mix in all other ingredients until dough forms; add protein powder last. Continue to add protein powder (amount will vary slightly depending on what kind you use) until dough can be worked into a ball. It may be somewhat stick, this is ok.
- Form dough into a 7” circle and make 3 even cuts with a sharp knife, forming 6 scones.
- Place each scone parchment paper lined cookie sheet. You may have to re-form triangular scone shapes with your hands.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes until you can stick a toothpick in it and it comes out clean.
- Let cool and enjoy! These are great served with protein icing or a sweet glaze on top. For protein icing, just add a tiny amount of water to a small bowl of vanilla protein powder and stir until a glaze is formed; drizzle on top of scones. This will increase the protein amount of the recipe. If you have plenty of carbs to spare, you can use the same technique but use powdered sugar instead of protein powder.